Monday, March 31, 2014

Evan's First Area - Firth Idaho with Elder Larsen

My companion is really awesome and has a great testimony. 



Howdy everyone,

Tuesday afternoon all of us greenies (new missionaries) arrived at the Mission Home in Pocatello. They appropriately fed us a potato bar for our first meal in Idaho and it was super delicious. Tuesday night we had an orientation to the field and we were assigned our calls! I was assigned to serve in the Firth area. Population of roughly 500... yup. I was a little bit shocked. Apparently missionary work is thriving here though, the members are really great about fellow-shipping, especially the youth. So far I'm loving the town, it has one gas station and one stop n shop convenient store. No grocery story or anything like it for 10-15 miles. On Wednesday my companion Elder Larsen drove me around to meet a bunch of the members and we got some of my groceries. We also just moved into a members home that’s apparently really nice compared to a lot of apartments the missionaries get. My companion got really sick Thursday night and to this day is still sick. He has some sort of bacterial infection that mimics the stomach flu I guess, so we haven't been able to teach hardly at all.. We taught one lesson to a guy from Israel and he wants us to keep teaching him whenever he is in town here, but he lives in Orem so we can't really do much for him. So yeah like I mentioned my companion has been really sick pretty much since I've been here so I'm just trying to keep busy studying my scriptures, workin' out, and studying the lessons. To say the least its been hard to stay awake cause everywhere there is to sit in our apartment is super comfortable and my eyes just start droopin' after about 20 minutes of reading. I'm pretty lame about hand writing letters so sorry to those who are waiting for a reply. I'm sending them out today so you should get them by today or tomorrow. All of the people here in Firth are so cool and friendly, Mormon or not. We kept scheduling appointments thinking my comp was going to be better, and then ending up needing to reschedule AGAIN and everyone is just like "oh its cool, let us know if you guys need anything" even people that we haven't even met before. A lot of people here are self-sustaining, or they trade goods in order to get like milk, eggs, wheat, etc. etc. There are the typical hillbilly lookin'/soundin' people here and it’s so funny, but they are just as friendly and loving as can be. The ‘our home is your home’ type of people. I'm sure there are plenty of other things I'm forgetting to mention, but that's all I can think of right now. Mom, if you want you can send an email with like an outline of questions on it and I'll try to answer them the best I can. I love you all! I'm grateful to have met you. I would not be serving a Mission right now if it weren't for all of the wonderful influences I've had in my life. And here's a random scripture: If you ever feel like giving up read these verses, Doctrine & Covenants Chapter 88:123-124 (see below). I'm afraid you'll have to look it up cause I don't have my scriptures with me right now. Ummmmm welp, yeah I'm loving life out here even though I haven't done much, today we were supposed to go hiking up to a cave but it snowed for half of the day yesterday so they're probably going to cancel it. 

Doctrine & Covenants Chapter 104:82:

"And inasmuch as ye are humble and faithful and call upon my name, behold, I will give you the victory.”

Pretty much every night looks like this and it’s pretty much all farm out here

No comments:

Post a Comment