Monday, April 14, 2014

4/14/14 - Evan's Loving Firth, Goshen & Basalt, Idaho!


They name big areas of land by what the ward is called, but this is all pretty much one Town, there's technically three cities I serve in though: Basalt, Firth, and Goshen. I'll have more pictures next week :/ I'm out of time. 

Ta-ta for now.

-Elder G.

(Here’s his first email before he sent the picture above)

Hello everyone!

I've been having some really great experiences out here in Firth. There are a couple of families we are working really hard worth. We invited one Sister to be baptized on the 26th and she is trying to quit smoking right now so we are praying really hard that she'll be able to make that date. It's a mission goal to have every companionship baptize in the month of April and this is the only date we have set right now. They have to attend church 3 times before they can be baptized as to prevent them from immediately going inactive. So Elder Larsen and I did a Stop Smoking program that we as missionaries have and they have been doing GREAT so far. The husband is a less active member and is doing it as well. I just met a family yesterday that are Seventh Day Adventists and they are Insanely knowledgeable in the Bible and they have a very open point of view on doctrine (meaning they are willing to be challenged and discuss viewpoints they take on the Gospel of Christ). 

I finally got to go to church yesterday for the first time in this area! The first week my companion had the flu and the second week was general conference, so it was being broadcasted. It was nice to get to meet all the members finally. The bishop randomly told me I was speaking as a youth speaker so I could introduce myself, so I scrambled and wrote some things down so I didn't have a stupor of thought. It ended up going well and it will probably help the members in getting comfortable with me (I.e. meaning they'll give us more referrals). 

The families we are teaching are just awesome, I can't say it enough. I'm enjoying helping others come closer to Christ, and helping them understand the peace, hope and happiness that the Gospel brings. I really do love the promise that the Book of Mormon has in Moroni 10:3-5 and in the Introduction to it. The promise is that if ye shall ask if the things which you read are true, with a sincere heart, real intent, having faith in Jesus Christ (also, faith you'll receive an answer), he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost. I can testify to that as I've been studying the Book of Mormon. I received many confirmations and answers to prayers doing just that. The great thing is about the Book of Mormon is that once you gain that testimony for yourself, a whole new world opens up to you. You indirectly gain a testimony of Joseph Smith, our current prophets, the great apostasy, and other things I can't think of right now lol.

Anyhow, I need recipes; I'm getting tired of making myself eggs in a blanket or fried eggs and toast lol. I'm going to try to buy some healthy stuff for p-day today and I need ideas peeps. 

I'm burnt out on emails.. I'm going to start writing this email first so you guys get the good stuff. Apologies!!!! 

Love,

Elder Gillespie

No comments:

Post a Comment