Sunday, July 20, 2014

6/2/14 - Trials of our Faith

Hola,

So there's a scripture somewhere that goes something along the lines of receiving miracles only AFTER the trials and testing of our faith. Satan has been hard at work on us here in Firth. Not only on us as missionaries, but on everyone we are currently teaching. The closer we get to something good happening, the harder Satan tries to extinguish the fire we just got burning. He's been throwing temptations and hardships at us. Causing people’s lives to become suddenly chaotic and causing a distraction from the Spirit and making it harder to help people come closer to Christ and to teach them about the Gospel. This mission has not been an easy thing... I repeat... NOT EASY. But, I've never made a better decision in my life. Life's good. I've been learning to recognize the strengths that come from my weaknesses, and to also to turn the weakness into a strength! You don't become a better or stronger person by doing easy things. That's why our Heavenly Father allows us to go through things like this and for us to have our own agency. We get to decide how we're going to live our lives whether it be in a righteous or unrighteous way. It's our choice. I truly, truly love the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I love teaching people about it and sharing my testimony with them. There's a scripture somewhere in Doctrine & Covenants 50 that says something like: he that preacheth and he that receiveth understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together. It's so true, watching people begin to understand things is such a joyful experience to have and you bond with that person immensely. I love visiting people that we have never met and towards the end of our conversation, as we are leaving, they say "You have no idea how badly I needed this today, thank you." It is the best feeling to be a part of this great and marvelous work. There is no greater joy than to watch souls repent and come unto Christ. I've been out for a little over 2 months now and I'm still Evan. But... Compared to who I was 6 months ago... I'm Evan 2.0. And Evan 2.0 is pretty great. I'm having many great and hard experiences out here. The Lord chooses to use the weak and the simple to accomplish great things. Patience and long-suffering tends to be a constant thing throughout my life. It's only being amplified on my mission haha.

I'm a bit short on time today, but I'm doing well, I'm hangin' in there. I love you all! Hope you and your families are well in mind, body, and spirit.

Love,
Elder Gillespie

No comments:

Post a Comment