Sunday, July 20, 2014

6/23/14 – POKEY – New Area, New People, New Excitement About the Work

Ight, so to start off with, Pocatello has been pretty legit thus far. I'm loving being in a walking area. It feels like I'm doing real missionary work haha. We get to do some TRACTING even! So my entire area is probably about 3 square miles roughly and we have some interesting people out in this area. There's this guy (not in my area, in another missionaries, but I met him on exchanges) that calls himself a prophet and he sings super loud in the front of his apartment about God and Paul Bunyon and John Bunyon. Some pretty funny stories about him. When I met him, apparently he had some sort of surgery on his throat and he couldn't talk so he was writing on a piece of paper and showing us. Without going into too much detail… he was the nicest guy in the world…

My companion Elder Wilky is a great dude. He wants to be a sports caster. He loves BYU. He knows about the high school I graduated from (Lone Peak) and was asking me if I knew all the sports dudes that are going to BYU or U of U it was kinda funny. Small world. He actually knows someone that is best friends with someone I know. He is the district leader for our district (I can't remember if I've already said that or not). This is legit gonna be the best transfer. So far I'm 3 for 3 with companions, third companion, third transfer, hopefully I get to stick with this one for at least 2 transfers.

Have had a TON of interesting/different experiences coming from Firth to Pokey. We get honked at all the time, people offering us rides to our next destination, we smell Mary Jane everywhere, WE GET TO TRACT (YEAH!!!!), we get to actually talk to people on the streets (cause we're not in a car), Friday we had a guy run up to us and basically ask us to come talk to him and see if we needed a drink or anything (not a member of our faith), people yell "Hoorah for Israel" at us lol, and that's all I can think of for now. Oh and we have 3 wards, which makes working with our church leaders a LOT easier.

We got to speak in two wards on Sunday and that was kinda scary but DANG they were some good talks that my companion and I gave. I talked about a bunch of different things like loving people, opening your mouth, strengthening ourselves as members etc. etc. and My companion barely wrote anything down and just talked for like 10 minutes in one ward and 20 minutes in the other ward. I pretty much wrote most of my talks for each ward cause you people in the congregation are scary sometimes so I lose my train of thought easily. And we're speaking again next Sunday in another ward.

I'm beyond excited for this transfer and to see where everything goes, BUT I SWARE if elder Wilks gets transferred this transfer, I'm complaining to President because once we just start getting things going they split us up!

Here's a scripture my companion shared in his talk on Sunday D & C 33: 8-11 (below) - It talks about opening your mouth.

Love you all,
Elder Gillespie
Doctrine & Covenants 33: 8-11
“Open your mouths and they shall be filled, and you shall become even as Nephi of old, who journeyed from Jerusalem in the wilderness. Yea, open your mouths and spare not, and you shall be laden with sheaves upon your backs, for lo, I am with you. Yea, open your mouths and they shall be filled, saying: Repent, repent, and prepare ye the way of the Lord, and make his paths straight; for the kingdom of heaven is at hand; Yea, repent and be baptized, every one of you, for a remission of your sins; yea, be baptized even by water, and then cometh the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost.”


No comments:

Post a Comment