Tuesday, July 22, 2014

7/21/14 - Exceedingly Marvelous Wonders

Hello all,

The weeks are getting shorter and the days are getting longer! Crazy to think I've been out for over 4 months now. Transfer calls are this upcoming Thursday. I've got a gut feeling I'll no longer be with Elder Wilkinson. It'll be my 4th companion in 4 transfers haha. There are 14 elders coming out this next transfer, so I'm guessing I'll more than likely be training someone… going through the 12 week training program again with a greenie will help me and help him. 

I've been growing a ton these past few weeks as a missionary. I ain't scared of nobody. We're in a walking area and oftentimes we see people in their front yards. I've been getting better at just starting to talk to random people and sharing gospel principles. We have something in this mission called a Standard of Excellence. What that entails is a set of goals each missionary should attempt to reach either daily, weekly, or monthly. Part of the Standard of Excellence is that every missionary baptizes twice monthly, another part is to teach 20 lessons a week, and another one is to invite someone to baptism every day. So far in these two areas I've been in, I've been struggling to reach that standard, but things are slowly progressing in the area and we are coming closer to reaching that. I have made it a goal for myself to open my mouth and talk to everyone I see, and invite someone to be baptized every day. This has become important to me because I only get these short two years to say those words. I've also been developing some super good habits that I hope to keep with me throughout my entire life. 

This week has been crazy! I feel like I say that a lot but it's true a lot of really weird things can happen to missionaries as we are always meeting new people. Elder Wilkinson was sick for 3 days this week so our schedule was way out of whack. But on Wednesday we taught 7 lessons in one day which is the most I've taught on my entire mission, so that was a really sweet experience. Poor Wilky was light headed that whole day and had a headache and we were walkin around in the heat and all dat jazz. Yesterday, we were helping move someone and I may or may not have given myself a hernia. I got a blessing a few hours after it had happened and I know that helped cause today its feeling a lot better. The mission doctor said he's pretty sure it's a hernia but we're just going to wait it out till around Wednesday to see if anything else gets worse or better. I don't think I have a hernia but we'll see, if I do, it's probably just a very minor one and I doubt it would require surgery. 

This week we had interviews with President Brinkerhoff. They went rather well I believe. I'm impressed P-Brink knows my name, there's 250 full-time missionaries in this mission and so yeah I'm impressed. That's something I've been trying to do make sure I do, remember everyone's first and last name that I meet.

A couple of slightly important items: I am only supposed to write hand written letters on Monday now, So it could take a LONG time to respond as we are very short on time on Preparation days as it is. I am not sure if I have told everyone my mission office has moved. So if you want to send anything send it to: 

Elder Evan Gillespie
Idaho Pocatello Mission Office
135 South 7th Avenue
Pocatello, Idaho 83201

Love you all,

Elder Chillespie

No comments:

Post a Comment