Monday, November 24, 2014

11/17/14 – Pain is Temporary

Hello SNOW!   Elders Gillespie & Wright in Shelley, Idaho


Elder Gillespie's Snow Angel in Shelley, Idaho

Hello All,
The past three weeks have been tragedy after tragedy. It's been hard to see people at their rock bottoms. They feel helpless. We are working with people whom have lost loved ones to suicide, drugs, drinking and driving, etc. I don't think I've ever wished more that someone would accept the Gospel. Why do we fall? Why does God suffer us to experience such things? Why must we go through pain at times. Pain is temporary, it may last for a minute, or an hour, or a day, or even a year, but eventually it will subside! If we quit, however, if we give up, if we throw in the towel, it will last forever. At some point in our lives, eventually the very fabric of our reality will tear open. Our world may seemingly fall apart.  Jesus Christ has done so much for us. He hurts when we hurt. He hurts even more when we don't utilize the tools he has given us to heal our open wounds. I just want to say to some of these people, GET UP AND DON'T EVER GIVE UP!  1 Nephi 20:10 :
"For, behold, I have refined thee, I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction."

God knows us better than we know us. He has given each and every one of us agency. He allows evil and suffering to occur for a reason. We do not need to fully comprehend why. We must understand that He loves us. He is there to comfort us in time of need. Living in darkness is a lonely road. Don't allow Satan to influence and encourage stinkin' thinkin'. Sometimes we need to take a trial like an extra cut on a diamond. Every time we go through a trial we gain knowledge, wisdom, and light. As we remain righteous and obedient. Pain is temporary. Happiness CAN be felt for eternity if we've live the way our Father in Heaven has asked us. Love one another. Ask and ye shall receive. Hold to the iron rod. Repent and change your ways. Look at trials as a direct compliment from our Heavenly Father. 

We've been very blessed this week. We just received word that a couple of investigators we have been teaching have parental permission to be baptized after a couple of years of investigating. We're on the verge of having 7 people with a baptismal date. Two weeks ago we had no one with a baptismal date. Things are hoppin'. Life's good. I'm happy. I have a conviction of the truthfulness of the teachings within the restored Church of Jesus Christ. I am grateful for the knowledge we have been given. I'm grateful for what those before me have gone through so that I may receive the many blessings I get from reading the Book of Mormon and the Bible. I'm grateful for the Latter-day prophets we have to be the mouth-piece of our Father in Heaven. 

I love you all,

Elder Gillespie

(Note from Betsy:  The Snow Angel and these two pictures below were sent to me by members of the church in Shelley in Evan's area - here's my Facebook post from 11/16:  My heart is so happy today!!! I just got this picture from someone of a snow Angel that Evan made yesterday saying that their house had their very own 'Snow Elder' watching over them  It's so fun that we made snow angels yesterday too! -- guess us Arizonans LOVE the snow and making snow angels the SAME day - SO FUN!)  



No comments:

Post a Comment