Tuesday, June 9, 2015

4/27/15 – Sacred Sabbath Observance

Elders Gillespie & Sitini when visiting American Falls

Hello!

Busy week! We had Mission Leadership Council and got the inside look on what the Church will really be emphasizing in Ward Conference, Stake conference, General Conference, etc. etc. Something very basic has been addressed over and over throughout the years, without much measurable change or success. That is strengthening faith in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ through Sabbath observance at church AND at home. One thing that was touched on quite a bit is not so much the importance of the how's but the why's. Why do we observe the Sabbath day, personally? Elder Russell M. Nelson spoke last at General Conference on this subject for a reason. 

"How do we hallow the Sabbath day? In my much younger years, I studied the work of others who had compiled lists of things to do and things not to do on the Sabbath. It wasn’t until later that I learned from the scriptures that my conduct and my attitude on the Sabbath constituted a sign between me and my Heavenly Father. With that understanding, I no longer needed lists of dos and don’ts. When I had to make a decision whether or not an activity was appropriate for the Sabbath, I simply asked myself, “What sign do I want to give to God?” That question made my choices about the Sabbath day crystal clear."

The same goes for just about every other commandment we strive to live. Commandments like tithing and church attendance can be perfected, but it's not a matter of simply going through the motions. Are we 'hearing the music of the Gospel' as was spoken about in General Conference. Are we doing it because it's a culture? Or are we striving to please God that in turn we may receive the blessings predicated upon that obedience. Where is our motivation truly stemming from? 

Not much time today, we gotta get running. All is well, exciting things to come! 

Love,

Elder Gillespie

No comments:

Post a Comment