Sunday, October 11, 2015

9/1/15 - More Holiness Give Me

Elder Gillespie & Elder Kim in Chubbuck, Idaho
Hello Everyone,

I've come to realize something special as I listened to the words of a speaker in church a couple of months ago. I used to have this mental image in my head of how we are to receive blessings in life of a 5 gallon jug hovering over our heads. This 5 gallon jug was filled with many 'blessings', but those blessings were being held in by a lever. This lever is only opened as we keep specific commandments, and even then we receive only specific blessings that are tied into those commandments. 

Doctrine & Covenants Section 130 Verses 20-21 read: "There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated-- And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated." 

Thus is essentially where I obtained this imagery. But, I now think of it this way... Heavenly Father is ALWAYS pouring blessings down upon his children. BUT, as he rains them down, our disobedience, our ignorance, or stiffneckedness causes us to put up an umbrella and those blessings go to waste. They are not permitted to enter into the crown of our heads. As we strive to be obedient and as we strive to love God and keep His commandments, we let down that umbrella and allow ourselves to receive "all that the Father hath". This imagery is true. Our Father loves us, and it is our agency, that either prevents or encourages blessings to fall down in abundance in our lives'. I'm grateful for this knowledge. We each face different levels of fiery furnaces continually in life to prepare us for eternal life in the life to come. We also each choose differently how we are going to make it through these furnaces. Sometimes we don't even realize we're being put into a furnace and we think, 'Why me?!'. Long-suffering is quite a challenge! I know this. I struggle with patience! When it comes to certain things, I'm just flat out NOT patient! I want my weaknesses to be made strong... NOW! Not tomorrow, not next week, not years to come, but now... Yet, I have not yet been able to perfectly align my will with my Father's will, thus my lack of understanding of certain trials and why I must go through them. I can only hope that by continuing to do the small and simple things it will be easier to make the right decision when I come to the fork in the road between good and evil. Satan appears to be an angel of light at times and will strive to deceive us into transgression. I love my Heavenly Father, I love Jesus Christ, my Divine Redeemer and my Savior.  I love President Monson. I am far from perfect. I make SO many mistakes. I regret many of my mistakes. But I know that because of Jesus Christ and His Atonement, I will be made whole one day as I continue to Endure. This is the message I hope for all the world to know. This is the message that I only wish everyone in our area would receive. This is a message of hope, of light and of truth. 

Love,
Elder Gillespie

Hymn #131 More Holiness Give Me

More holiness give me, more strivings within
More patience in suff'ring, More sorrow for sin,
More faith in my Savior, More sense of his care,
More joy in his service, More purpose in prayer.

.......

More, Savior, like thee.



No comments:

Post a Comment