Monday, December 21, 2015

10/12/15 – There is Always Hope for Change

Hello Hello,

I hunger all the way to the marrow of my bones to serve. I hope to be in a position by the age of retirement to do nothing but serve those that the Lord puts in my path. I have loved viewing the 12 steps to change ARP videos that the Church has put out to help those who suffer from addiction. They prove that change happens, even to those who are in the deepest and darkest despair. In the book of Mosiah chapter 27 verse 29, Alma the Younger describes that he was in the darkest abyss, yet his soul pained no more (“My soul hath been redeemed from the gall of bitterness and bonds of iniquity. I was in the darkest abyss; but now I behold the marvelous light of God. My soul was racked with eternal torment; but I am snatched, and my soul is pained no more.”) I've heard the phrases, "they are hopeless, it's a waste of time visiting them, they're too far gone, or don't even bother with them", from members and missionaries alike, and that bothers me. I have felt what they feel when they are discouraged because of the decisions people have made that led to that individual’s current state of mind and situation. It is hard not to want to give up and move on with some people. Using some judgment though in these situations deciding as to whether or not they are ready to hear our message or need us in their lives, is a necessary judgment to make. But it becomes all too easy to move on to someone else and leave them in the dust. It is difficult dealing with some people’s situations, but helping them feel of their Savior's love and His Atonement is stupefyingly marvelous. There is always hope for someone to change and to follow Christ's footsteps. Christ has walked quite a long way though, so at times it feels rather monotonous but the path to eternal salvation is not meant to be a half marathon.  

My companion is going home, so I will be getting a new companion or being in a trio for a little while, at least until transfers, we shall see. I still love Idaho Falls and am so grateful to be here. This area is like none other that I've ever seen. The members of this stake work so hard to see people enter the waters of baptism.

Love,

Elder Gillespie

No comments:

Post a Comment